Last modified: January 13, 2017
Information we collect
We collect Personal Data we need in order to provide you the services you have purchased from us. We also collect Personal Data we are contractually required to collect by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (“ICANN”), other domain name registry providers, credit card and payment providers, and third-parties that provide services, such as SSL certificates, that we offer to you in conjunction with our domain registration services.
All of our services require you to sign up for an account using your real name and accurate contact information. When you sign up for an account, we will ask for personal information, including your name, postal mailing address, email address, and telephone number. To make purchases, we will ask you for your payment information, such as your credit card information required by payment processing services to transact your payments to us.
We may collect Personal Data about our services that you use and how you use them. We automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This server log data may include:
- your Internet protocol (“IP”) address;
- telephone log information such as your phone number, calling-party number, forwarding numbers, time and date of calls, duration of calls, SMS routing information and types of calls;
- details of how you used our service, such as your search queries; device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL;
- cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your account; device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, and mobile network information including phone number);
- information (including personal information) locally on your computer or device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
How we use the Personal Data we collect
We use the Personal Data we collect to comply with contractual requirements for the registration and use of domain names. This includes publishing the name and contact information for domain name registrants in publicly accessible whois databases.
We use the Personal Data we collect from all of our services to provide, maintain, protect and improve our services, to develop new services, and to protect us, you, and our users.
We engage other companies to perform functions on our behalf, such as processing credit cards, archiving data, or handling postal mail. These companies have access to Personal Data needed to perform their functions. These companies do not retain, share, store or use personally identifiable information that you provide to us for any secondary purposes.
When you contact us, we may keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements.
We use Personal Data collected from cookies and other technologies to improve your user experience and the overall quality of our services.
Accessing and updating your personal information
Within your account, we provide you with access to your Personal Data used to conduct transactions through the account. For the Personal Data we have for you, we provide tools for you to use to update your information quickly or to delete it from further use. When updating your Personal Data, we may ask you to verify your identity before we can act on your request. We will retain your Personal Data, even if deleted from your account, to the extent required by law or applicable policy required to provide the services to you.
ICANN Data Retention Requirements and Registry Requirements
For TLD registrations authorized by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (“ICANN”), we are required to comply with the ICANN Data Retention Specification which requires us to:
Collect the following information from registrants at the time of registration of a domain name (a "Registration") and maintain that information for the duration of Registrar's sponsorship of the Registration and for a period of two additional years thereafter:
- First and last name or full legal name of registrant;
- First and last name or, in the event registrant is a legal person, the title of the registrant's administrative contact, technical contact, and billing contact;
- Postal address of registrant, administrative contact, technical contact, and billing contact;
- Email address of registrant, administrative contact, technical contact, and billing contact;
- Telephone contact for registrant, administrative contact, technical contact, and billing contact;
- WHOIS information, as set forth in the ICANN WHOIS Specification;
- Types of domain name services purchased for use in connection with the Registration; and
- To the extent collected by Registrar, current period third party transaction number, or other recurring payment data.
The ICANN Data Retention Specification further requires us collect the following information and maintain that information for no less than one hundred and eighty (180) days following the relevant interaction:
- Information regarding the means and source of payment reasonably necessary for the Registrar to process the Registration transaction, or a transaction number provided by a third party payment processor;
- Log files, billing records and, to the extent collection and maintenance of such records is commercially practicable or consistent with industry-wide generally accepted standard practices within the industries in which Registrar operates, other records containing communications source and destination information, including, depending on the method of transmission and without limitation: (1) Source IP address, HTTP headers, (2) the telephone, text, or fax number; and (3) email address, Skype handle, or instant messaging identifier, associated with communications between Registrar and the registrant about the Registration; and
- Log files and, to the extent collection and maintenance of such records is commercially practicable or consistent with industry-wide generally accepted standard practices within the industries in which Registrar operates, other records associated with the Registration containing dates, times, and time zones of communications and sessions, including initial registration.
Should you have concerns about the ICANN Data Retention Specification, and our obligations under it, we encourage you to contact ICANN at your regional Hub Office or Engagement Center using the ICANN contact form at http://www.icann.org/en/contact
The applicable TLD registry, whether under the authority of ICANN or the applicable ccTLD manager, may impose additional or different data retention requirements as a condition of our being able to offer domain registration services to you.
Information we share
We do not share Personal Data with companies, organizations and individuals outside of our organization unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With your consent: We will share Personal Data with companies, organizations or individuals outside of our company when we have your express consent to do so.
- For legal reasons: We will share Personal Data with other companies, organizations or individuals if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to: meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request; enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations; detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues; protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of us, our users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- We may share aggregated, non-personally identifiable information publicly and with our partners – like publishers, advertisers or connected sites. For example, we may share information publicly to show trends about the general use of our services.
We work hard to protect our systems and you from unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of Personal Data we hold. Specifically, we encrypt many of our services to provide you secure access to our site and your information. We also offer you the ability to enable two-step verification for access to your account. We review our Personal Data collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems. We restrict access to Personal Data to our employees, contractors, and agents who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict contractual confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
We intend to maintain our services in a manner that protects Personal Data from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, after you delete Personal Data from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove some or all of the information from our backup systems.
Contact for more information
You may inform us of any changes in your Personal Data and we will update or delete your data accordingly. To find out what Personal Data we hold on you or to have your Personal Data updated, amended or removed from our database, please use the tools provided in your account, or contact us at Contact Us form.